How Duct Cleaning Benefits Your HVAC System
You might think regular maintenance on your HVAC system is a waste of money. But did you know something as simple as getting your air ducts cleaned can actually help keep your HVAC system running smoothly, preventing costly repairs down the road?
Keep reading to find out:
Already know you need duct cleaning? Work with Advantage Air Mechanical for honest advice and the best prices in Tucson. Reach out and schedule a home diagnostic review to get the process started.
The Benefits of Duct Cleaning
Keeping your ducts free of excessive dust, dander, and mold has many benefits, including:
- Keeping your HVAC system working properly
- Saving you money on your energy bill
- Maintaining your home’s air quality
1. Duct cleaning keeps your HVAC system working properly
When your HVAC system is working properly, it draws air from your home through an air filter that catches dust, pollutants, and allergens. Over time, the air filter gets full and becomes less effective at pulling debris from the air, causing a buildup in the air ducts that could make its way to your HVAC system. Unless removed quickly, the debris can seriously damage your system.
2. Duct cleaning saves your money on your energy bills
When debris clutters your air ducts, your HVAC system must work harder to pump hot or cold air through your ducts and into your home. Because your HVAC system has to use more energy to perform its heating and cooling functions, your energy bills are higher than if your ducts were free of debris.
3. Duct cleaning maintains your home’s air quality
After your HVAC system heats or cools your home’s air, it pumps that air back into your home through your ducts. When your ducts are full of debris—whether it’s dust, dirt, or pet dander, you name it—that debris can get pushed out of your ducts into your home, decreasing its air quality.
How To Tell if Your Ducts Need Cleaning
According to the Environmental Protection Agency, you should get your ducts cleaned if:
- Mold is growing in your duct system or on any of your HVAC components
- You suspect there are insects or rodents in your ducts
- An excessive amount of dust is blocking or exiting your vents
Excessive dust can prevent your HVAC system from working correctly, as discussed in the section above. Mold or insect/rodent infestation in your ducts can signal an underlying problem, such as a leak or an issue with your insulation.
If you believe you have any of the above problems, it’s essential to get professional help fixing them and treating root causes. Failure to investigate and correct underlying problems could create serious issues with your HVAC system over time.
You may also want to consider duct cleaning if you are experiencing:
- Unexpectedly high utility bills
- Allergy flare-ups
- Inconsistent airflow throughout your home
If you’re not sure whether duct cleaning is the right choice for you, one of our technicians can provide you with honest, personalized advice.
How To Prevent Duct Contamination in Your HVAC System
One of the best things you can do for your HVAC system is to prevent duct contamination proactively.
Luckily, many easy tasks exist to do so:
- First, use a high-efficiency air filter, and change it every 2–3 months. As your air filter gets full, it isn’t able to catch as much debris. To have your air filter be its most effective, you should change it frequently.
- Second, dust and vacuum your home regularly. Removing debris, like dust and dander, from your home prevents it from eventually clogging your ducts and causing problems with your HVAC system.
- Finally, when you have service performed on your HVAC system, request that the HVAC technicians clean your cooling coils and drain pans. When condensation gathers on those components, it can cause mold to develop in your ducts and HVAC system.
Ready to see the difference in your home?
Advantage Air Mechanical has HVAC technicians ready to get your ducts cleaned on your schedule. Schedule service today!